A while back, I made a list of twenty-three scenes that are either missing or completely fouled up that my novel needs to survive. I’m starting with the ones that don’t exist at all, and working my way back to the ones where there’s some material already done.
I’m writing longhand, and then typing into a project in my novel writing software.
I have three more scenes than I did at the beginning, and they’re running a little long. I have to figure out how much wiggle room I’m willing to eat up.
At this moment, the novel is scattered out across at least three projects; there’s one for the material I’m already more or less comfortable with, there’s one for the not-even close to finished scenes that I’m salvaging from my first draft, and there’s one for the shiny new scenes I’m writing right now.
Well, it cuts down on distractions, and it keeps me from looking at tens of thousands of words and being overwhelmed. Other than that, no, I’m not sure it serves a purpose.
I also have some short-story excitement to type up.
And some short stories to write. I am slipping behind on the 52 week challenge. I’m trying to convince myself that it IS a priority.